Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Quest for the sun 2010!

In January, the days are getting longer, but the mountains block sunlight from reaching the village. Last year I set out to catch the sun on the one of the mountain tops where it was hitting. I did not make it because I kept heading towards the North.

This year I had some company, my boyfriend Mike from Fairbanks came up to visit and we headed out about 10 in the morning to try and catch the sun on top of Blueberry mountain.

The moon in the pre-dawn hours, around 11 am.
Bundled up in my wolf ruff and beaver mitts. It was warm that day, about -10, and no wind.

Sun light on Soakpak peak.
We made it about 2:30 in the afternoon, the sun is peaking out from behind the mountains in the South.
Soaking it in!
Group photo. Some of the village dogs followed us up, along out 8 mile trip. We skied most of the way then hike the last 1000ft to the top.
Tired dogs!
Stopped to sip some hot coco.

No comments: