Monday, June 30, 2008

Home Sweet Home... For Now



This morning Zoey and I took a walk along the lake shore at Senca Lake. I found a place with out poison ivy for her to access the water. It was steep and she was tentative, but she could not resist jumping in when I threw her favorite tennis ball bone in the water. She had to retrieve it.


remember the painted ponies? http://www.trailofpaintedponies.com/au-tale-trail.htm It was a big fundraiser that started in Santa Fe with life sized fiberglass horses painted by different artists then auctioned off. Well here is a painted deer, auction as part of a fund raiser for an art school in New York... What's next? painted caribou?




Once I got off the interstate in New York it started to feel like home or at least familiar. I lived in upstate New York for a year after college when I volunteered with the Student Conservation Association doing trail crew and environmental education. New York has many small economically depressed towns. The Streets are lined with rundown Victorian houses, Brick storefronts and other old buildings.



Zoey sat up when she could tell we were slowing down after we got off the interstate. She had a look around. I wonder what she thought of this lush green environment with rolling hills and big lazy rivers. When she realized she was not getting out of the car she curled back up and went back to sleep.


It was about 3 pm when we crossed the Vermont state line. We made our up route 22A, not the most direct route, but it was scenic, Rolling hills with views into the Champlain valley, open farmland dotted by trees and the occasional barn and old farm house The Valley bordered on the west by the Adirondack mountains, and on the east by the Green mountains. Home at last. I wish I had batteries in my little camera so I could snap photos of this beautiful lush green landscape for all of you back in New Mexico.




When we arrived at my grandmothers farm in Bristol, Zoey was not out of the car 5 minutes before she discovered the stream. I think she has found paradise, a stream, a pond, woodchucks and ducks to chase and green grass to run and play in.








I got my car about half way unloaded but now I need to figure out where to put everything while family from out of town are visiting.




1 comment:

NPinMilwaukee said...

Lucky Zoey! I bet she loves all the green and new smells to explore!!

glad you made it safely! I can't wait to see you both!