Friday, March 27, 2009

Day 2: Colorado Creek to Wolfrun Cabin.

Pancakes with rehydrated "Just Fruit." Too bad we forgot to pack a spatula. Steve fashioned a spatula out of a paper plate. I brought some of the Vermont Maple syrup that was mailed to me, but we forgot the butter. Good thing there was some Pam a that was left at the Colorado creek cabin that we could use to grease the pan.

It was really windy still and the trail was mostly in open meadow. I headed out ahead of Steve, but in the back of my mind I was thinking he was going to catch up to me and tell me he wanted to head back because it was so windy and cold. I was still exhausted from skiing in the day before. I was afraid to go too far, thinking he would want to turn around. I put my googles on and pulled my face mask up and skied into the wind. By the time he caught up to me I had skied almost 3 miles and my goggles were all frosted over.


On the first day my socks were bunching up and making hot spots on my arches. I tried some thinner socks, but was afraid I might get blisters on my heals so I put duct tape on my heals to keep them from getting blisters. Unfortunately the tape bunched up and made a blister on the side of my heal. This was going to make the rest of the trip a little painful.

Shike hates stopping. She yelps and cries whenever we stopped. She bites at here lead line and tries to cause trouble with the other dogs. Here she is trying to get me to hurry up so we can go.
The trail was pretty mellow without too man dips. There was one section of trail referred to as the ditch of hell by a number of people who have gotten snow machines stuck in it. I unhooked from the team and it was an easy ski.


We made it to the wolfrun cabin with plenty of day light left. This cabin was recently rebuilt after the former cabin burned to the ground. It is a nice cabin with plenty of bunk room. I think it was the largest cabin we stayed in. There was plenty of cut wood around it just needed to be split. Steve had an elaborate dinner with pita bread planned. He kneaded the dough and let it rise on top of the wood stove. The wood stove was slow to heat up, we were trying to burn green birch, but once we got some dry wood the place heated up fast.
Steve "Baked" the "pita" in a frying pan on the propane cook stove. It was good. We thawed the tomatoes, kalamata olives and feta in a seal-a-meal bag. I mixed up some hummus from a dry mix and we had tahini to drizzle over the marinated pre-cooked beef and chicken. Another delicious dinner! Spiced tea with rum and a chocolate bar for desert.


All Snuggled in. Trapper is a good cabin dog, part lab. Steve read some Aesop's fabels as I snuggled in my bag with a hot nalgene bottle.





No comments: