Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring Break in the Windy White Mountains of Alaska

For Spring Break this year I decided a backcountry wilderness trip would be a nice contrast to the not so sunny beaches of Hawaii. I went with a friend of mine from Fairbanks who has a dog team. We did covered close to 70 miles of trail in the White Mountain National Recreation Area. For more information about the area see the BLM's website: http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/sa/white_mtns.html

Trip Overview:

Day 1: mile 57 to colorado Creek Cabin 14 Miles

Day 2:Colorado Creek cabin to Wolf Run Cabin 9 miles

Day 3: Wolfrun to Windy Gap about 10 miles

Day 4: Windy gap to Caribou Bluff cabin about 12 Miles

Day 5: Caribou Bluff Cabin to Wolfrun 12 Miles

Day 6: Wolfrun to Colorado Creek 9 miles.... Colorado Creek to Mile 57, 14 Miles= 23 miles total.


Day 1: Colorado Creek trail Head to Colorado Creek Cabin


We arrived at the trail head about 2 in the afternoon after a last minute stop in at Sportsman's Wearhouse to stock up on hand warmers. It was about a two hour drive from Fairbanks to mile 57 of the Elliot Highway.


We had heard several wind advisories for the high country, and it was a bit windy and cool when we started. I do not think I checked the temperature before I left. I just put on my facemask, neck gator, and pulled on my beaver hat and set out. I started out on the trail about 3 in the afternoon, with spring just around the corner the long days gave us plenty of daylight. I skied for two or three miles along the Colorado Creek trail before Steve and the team caught up to me. I hooked the quick release on my skijor belt to the bungie line attached to the sled and away we went.


The sled was heavy with all of the food and gear for us and the dogs for 6 days. I do not know if I would have made the 14 miles on my own with out the assistance of the dogs. There was a fair amount of climbing and several dips a gullies. I had to unhook from the team when going down into a gully, otherwise I would over run the sled or run in to it. On the way in the snow had drifted in the gullies along the trail and the sled go stuck a few times. At one point the team tried to turn around. I had to get out of my skis and help straighten them out.




We made it to the cabin by about 7 pm with some daylight to spare. Started to collect snow to melt for cooking, drink and dog water. Dinner was rice noodles with peanut sauce, cilantro, green onions and a pound of Shrip. Mmmmm. It was good. the food was one of the highlights of the trip. I would not have taken the shrip back packing, but it was good.
The dogs staked out at Colorado creek cabin. It was -20 when we got to the cabin and windy. It was a 3 dog night in the cabin!




1 comment:

NPinMilwaukee said...

I wish all the puppies could sleep in the cabin. I feel bad for the ones stuck outside! :(