Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tundra Hike







My last free Sunday before I really have to get to work. I was contemplating going to Church, you know meet some of the local town folks. But it was just too nice a day to spend inside.






It was cool, maybe mid 40's but sunny with a light breeze. It was not long before I discovered caribou Skulls and other bones littering the tundra. The bones were returning back to the earth, decaying in the acidic boggy tundra.






Picked a lot of Cranberries and Blueberries. Also there were Crowberries. There seem to be so many common names it is hard to keep track of what is what.
Crow berries Below:



After picking the tiny bog cranberries, each less than 2 mm, I called zoey back after she had been out chasin ground squirrels. I put her on a leash... good thing too, with in 15 minutes a lone male caribou trotted by about 80 yards away. That was a nice looking animal. I was too busy admiring it to take any pictures until after it had passed by.



About two miles south of the village I stumbled upon a little lake. On my way down to the lake I found some great blueberry spots. Yum. I almost stepped on some ptarmagine.... I can see how they would be easy shoot. They just stood there staring at me...


2 comments:

NPinMilwaukee said...

WOW!! I cannot believe how BEAUTIFUL it is. I must come see it for myself. You've convinced me!

KDog said...

Sunny days like this are rare