Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chena Hot Springs











Last weekend I made the trip out the Chena Hot Springs. This is a developed Geothermal area. Besides many hot tubs and a large open rock pool, they use the water for a greenhouse operation, to cool the ice museum and heat some of the buildings. Neat.

I always enjoy a good soak, but even at 10 below it does not take long to over heat. I can feel icecles forming on my eyebrows and my hair is frozen at the same time I feel like I am almost ready to pass out from the heat. I had thought about camping, but I chickened out at the thought of -10 degrees. So I got a room. Much nicer! So at the Alaska resident rate it was $120 per night for the room. And that comes with two days soaking passes. Not bad!
After relaxing the in warm water I went for a hike along the Chena River and up towards Chena dome. The ground off of the trail was really spongy from all of the lichen and moss that builds up on top of the soil. I saw weasle trackes, they could have been marten but it is hard to say without a ruler. There also had been some recent beaver activity.

No comments: