Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hawaii Bound

Last night I grabbed a bite to eat at a Chinnese resuratnt and this was the fortune in my cookie!
Good thing I already had my tickets. All of the flights out of Alaska are booked! If you did not plan your trip at least a month ago you are not going! I bought my tickets to Hawaii in September. I was feeling guilty about not seeing my family and all, until Seatle got hammered by a major storm that shut down the airport. If I had bookea flight back to Vermont, I do not think I would have made it. Colby was supposed to go to Mexico and another teacher was going to Chicago. Neither of them have made it out of Fairbanks yet. I am currenlty in the Anchorage airport looking out at a gorgous mountain range! What a view! My Flight is schedualed to leave in about 2 1/2 hours.


Ashley and I flew out of AKP on Friday to be sure we could get out for the Holidays.

It was a fun weekend. We drank, we ate, I skiied, I soaked. Above is a phot of me soaking up the sun on the shorted day of the year on the University trail system in Fairbanks. The snow in Fairbanks was light and fluffy, the trails had excellent coverage, and they were groomed. Man I could live in Fairbanks... this city looks very livable. Except maybe the air quality.... many people are burning wood and even coal with the price of heating oil so high. A thick blanket of smoke is trapped above the city due to and temperature inversion.

Skiing across a frozen lake on the university trail system.



Ashley and I met a musher in Fairbanks. Here she is with a bear skin in his cabin.



Musher mitts are hard to fill. My what big hands...
Feeding Time at the dog yard. Mushing Huskies are much smaller than I expected. The smaller dogs tend to have fewer injuries to the wrists and such. They are small and fast. Together as a team they are stong.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just a comment about the ice fog from someone who has lived in Fairbanks for sixteen years...it has more to do with the three coal-fired power plants providing electricity to the area and vehicle exhaust more than home heating with wood (less than 20% of residents heat with wood) or the rare coal burner