Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Dance



Last Night there was a dance at the community center following the feast. Here is our Postmaster dancing with her daughter. She was a very animated dancer. Fun to watch.


The Drummers. I think there may have been 3 generations of drummers. It seems like they are all male. The Drummer are made on an animal skin, possibly sheep pulled over a wooden frame.






The litter kids were the most active dancers while we were there. We did not know what time the dance started, but we went over there around 9 and no one was there. So we walked back over around 10 and things had already started. Ahsley and I brought Tristen, the principal's son. Ashley sat on the floor and was treated as a bean bag chair by many of the little kids who were climbing all over her. Many of the kids assumed that becuase I was sitting next to a young guy that he was my boyfriend. When I insisted that he was not, I was asked if he was my son. Okay I am not quite that old, Tristen is 24 (I think).

If David Lang were an Eskimo, this is what he would look like. (David is a teacher at my old school.)




Even the High School kids got up to dance. Some of them anyhow. They motioned for me to come up. I joined them for just one dance, I followed what they were doing. Just bend at the knees to the rhythm of the drums and move your arms like you are doing the back stroke. It seems like that is what you do if you are a girl. I think there may be more of an art to it. Someone said each dance tells a story. Not everyone dances to every song, maybe some stories and songs are specific to certain families.

1 comment:

NPinMilwaukee said...

Looks like quite the experience!