Saturday, November 1, 2008

I wanna be a life Guard...

Help help help... I wanna guard your life....

I can't remember the name of the band that sings this silly song, but that is all I can think of when I am getting ready for my life guard training.

Those of you that know me well may know that I grew up with a 4 foot deep above ground pool in my backyard. Because of this I never really learned how to swim. At least not well. Sure I like to go to the lake or the swimming hole at the river, jump in the water and splash around, but I have never really been a swimmer.

Last week, Brian my boss, comes into my classroom and asks me if I would like to spend two nights in a hotel in Fairbanks and go to a lifeguard training in Barrow. All I heard was hotel in Fairbanks paid for by the school district. Without much thought I said yes. Okay there are a few things you have to understand about where I live.

1. You can only get here by plane or Catrain when rivers are frozen, or apparently by dogsled. (The park ranger here told me that is how he first came to Anaktuvuk Pass.)


2. A round trip to ticket to Fairbanks is $360. You can carry 40 lbs with you then you have to pay $0.85 per pound after that. (Now they never really weigh you going out to Fairbanks, they Will ask you your weight point blank in front of everyone... and you better not lie because this could be a life or death matter.)

3. There is a hotel on Fairbanks called Sophie's Station that the district uses to put us up when we have to travel. The rooms are like an apartment that is bigger than my former house. They have a sitting room, kitchen with full stove, full fridge, sink and even dishes. There is a TV in the sitting room and one in the bedroom. WiFi. During the off season which is Mid September until Fairbanks thaws out, which I don't know when that is..., the rooms are only $75 a night. Most rooms also have 2 queen sized beds. This is where Ashley and I stayed when we were there for labor day weekend. Too bad the rooms were $180 a night then. We should have waited two weeks. Oh well now we know for next year.
4. My Village is Dry, I am not referring to the humidity or precipitation. Alcohol is not permitted in the village. You may not posses it, you may not bring it in, you may not be drunk. Homebrew is a felony. If you are caught bringing in Alcohol three times it is a felony. If we want to have an occasional drink, we need travel outside of the village. Yes it may be possible to bring in Alcohol and drink in our apartments without being caught, but it is not worth loosing my job.
5. Barrow is a town more than 10 times the size of Anaktuvk Pass, and it is Damp. That means you are allowed to bring in a small amount of alcohol and posses it. But you are NOT allowed to sell it.
So when Brian asked me if I wanted to travel I said YES.
Oh wait, here's a thought. Do you have to be able to swim to be a life guard?
Sort of. Well at first we were told that you had to be able to do the breast stroke and free style for 200 meters each.
Okay it is time to start training. Here is our pool:
The pool at our school is 4 feet deep, 2 lanes wide and 25 meters long. Luckily I am 5' 3" tall. So at anytime I can stand up in the pool.
Okay so last Saturday we go to the pool to see if we can swim, 400 meters. The answer is.....
Yes, but not without stopping. I think I could swim about 50 meters before I needed a break. I have never swam laps before and I did not realize what an intense workout swimming is. Swimming burns about 600 calories an hour.
I go back to Brian to tell him that I do not think I can swim 400 meters. He makes the travel plans anyways.
Moral dilemma: can I travel on the district's dime to go to a training and take a certification that I am not sure if I can pass.
I talk to Brian again. He insists that I go. Then he tells me that there are no requirements of being able to swim. Okay, a sigh of relief.
Ashley and I have been going to swim 5 of the last 7 days. It only takes about 20 to 25 minutes to get 16 laps in. It is a great work out and I am going to try to keep it up this winter so I can stay in shape... Maybe even leave here in better shape than I arrived!

So for Halloween I dress up as a life guard. Only in the Arctic.

No comments: