Sunday, November 23, 2008

A knock at my door

The other day a student came to my door with a gun in his hand. I was not home so he knocked on my neighbors door asking if they knew where I was. If I was living or teaching anywhere else I might be freaked out by this. Robert was looking to sell me his .22 riffle he bought from a student who moved away. I am interested in having a .22 for rabbit and ptarmigan hunting. I saw him on the way over to the camp, the one dining establishment in town, he turned his snowmobile around after passing me to tell me he had already sold it to some one else. I guess he needed the cash to put gas in his snow machine. While gas prices have dropped almost every where else in the country, it is still around $9 a gallon here in the village. People up here are outraged. This is where much of the country's oil is produced and yet we have to pay some of the highest gas prices?!

Students also look at guns on the internet at school. If this was not a hunting community, I would have get upset about this and report them. But here hunting is a way of life. I can not react the same way up here as I would in other schools.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

as a proportion, yes, Alaska produces most of the US oil, however, domestic production provides less than 15% of total use, and since the nearest refinery that produces heating oil & gasoline for public consumption is in Nikiski (near Anchorage) and then it has to be flown in...I think the village is lucky to ONLY pay $9/gallon for gas