Monday, November 10, 2008

Fairbanks... Barrow... Lifegaurd

This weekend the district flew us to Fairbanks and Barrow and back for lifeguard training. Thursday 5 teachers from the school, myself, the Giffords, Ashley and Colby left right after school. Here we are at the airport waiting for the plane. I kept asking myself, "Why did I bring so much Crap?"


Okay not all of the bags in this photo are mine... but I sure brought more than I needed.
The sun is setting around 4 pm as we fly into Fairbanks.




We all had dinner in Fairbanks at a little pub called Brewster's, nothing too exciting. But at least it was not smokey like many of the bars can be. The next day Ashley and I went to the Mall. The Bentley mall. We walked around for about 5 minutes before we came to the entrance to a Michael's. "Where is the rest of the mall?" I asked. I think there was fewer than 10 stores in the whole mall. I mean even Burlington has a bigger mall than this, two in fact! Oh well good thing I am not that into shopping. Next we head over to Jo Anne's fabric where I find out that I can not use a purchase order to any fabric for projects in my Home Ec class! What am I going to do? How are we going to sew?


Oh well, we have lunch at a place called food factory where they have my new favorite raspberry beer on tap. We are supposed to be spending the night in Barrow, so I forgo the beer and try out my new tea thermos instead.


After lunch Ashley and I head off to Campus in search of a Professor making movies about the tundra for students. We were unable to find him so we went to the museum. The University of Alaska in Fairbanks has a nice collection of artifacts on the native culture and history of Alaska.

Good thing we are not lost, it is about -15 degrees out! This hat I am wearing is very warm. I got several comments on my hat this weekend. I am not sure why it was so fascinating. What does Camo and rabbit fur not match the rest of my attire?



Totem outside of the Museum. Totems are more common among the South East Coastal people.


Polar bear and their favorite food. But if they can not find a seal they would not flinch at eating you!
Raven Rock.


After the Museum we headed over to Alaska Raw furs where they have a huge selection of furs. I am planning to make a beaver fur hat, which is said to be just about the warmest hat you can get. They go for around $250 but I bet I can make one for much less.


On the walls you can see Wolverine in the back with go for about $500 each, wolf pelts go for about the same. On the left are Lynx pelts. I am still not sure which species I will use for a ruff on the parka I am planning to make. Wolf is the most common, but Wolverine is a status symbol. Most people will also use a little beaver fur to give it a soft edge.
Okay, we need to hurry now. Off to the post office to mail out our packages, we also bought a new vacuum at walmart and need to get that off in the mail instead of bringing it on the plane. Ashley and I get back to the hotel about an hour before our flight leaves for Barrow. If we had left right away we would have made it... but we stayed and visited for a bit... then realized that Colby would need to get gas. For some reason he would not go to the closest gas station, but one about a mile down the road, then he can't get the gas tank open, the stupid lever will not pop the door. Then we miss the turn to go directly to the airport and drive another mile or two out of the way. So by the time we get to the airport... they will not let us check in
Oh darn, we missed out flight! But there just happens to be a Contra Dance in Fairbanks that very night. After rescheduling our flight and making arrangements for tomorrow, we head to Fred Meyer's where I buy myself a purple velvet dress to were to the dance. I had thrown my dance shoes in my bag on the off chance that we may miss the flight to Barrow due to weather...
The dance was good but the caller sounded like a middle school teacher trying to get the class to listen. There was a young crowd and some inexperienced dancers, but somehow we pulled it together and managed to have fun despite the frustrations of the caller. She made comments like..." Some people like to spin when they do-si-do, try not to let it confuse or annoy you." I think I must be one of those some people... I wonder if she found me annoying... Oh well. It was fun.
Saturday morning we had to get up at the crack of dawn... well actually a good deal before dawn considering the sun does not rise until 9 or 10 am. Tired and cranky we make it to the airport with plenty of time to eat over priced muffins and drink over priced coffee. There was no way I was missing this flight. We stopped in Dead Horse, where the airport for Prohudoe bay is. Workers for the oil field got on and off the plane here. We flew on a 737, only about half of the plane holds passengers, the other half of the plane is cargo. Although you can drive to Prohudoe bay, you can not drive to Barrow. There are no roads.
Sun rise around 9 am.
Sea Ice and Barrow lights.
So I am a lifeguard now. Okay, let me specify that I am a shallow water lifeguard only trained to work at my site. I can swim 50 meters without stopping, I can strap someone on to the back board in the water. I can walk in a pool while carrying a 10 lb brick.
Ashley in the Barrow Airport ready to go home.
I must have still had water in my ear after swimming. The flight home was hard on my ears. I think I may be developing an ear infection. I had a hard time hearing for several hours after we got off the plane. I hope this clears up and does not turn into an ear infection.
Starting off the week feeling sick is no fun! But maybe I am paying for a fun weekend. There is a chance I may be back in Barrow next weekend if I Chaperoned for the Volley Ball tournament.

1 comment:

NPinMilwaukee said...

Oooh somebody's got some skillz....