Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mush!


The internet is a wonderful place to meet interesting people. While I was in Fairbanks to see a Dr. to find out what is going on with this tingling sensation in my leg and face, I was able to meet up with my Musher friend. He loaded the dogs up in the truck and we headed to the Mushers Hall on the North side of town. Got all of the 8 doggies in their harnesses and hooked up to the line. I got to ride in the sled at first, then we pulled over and he let me drive the team the rest of the way. It was fun! It was warm out, about 40 degrees, what a change from the -40 degrees we had two weeks ago! We had to go kinda slow because one of the dogs, Queenie is old, like 12 or 13 and she has a hard time keeping up with the rest of the team. so we took it easy. No racing around the course, just a mellow dog sled ride through the boreal forest and across some open meadows. Note: Dog mushers like cold weather, below freezing because the dog shit freezes and is easier to clean up in that state. Mushing at warmer temps is a little stinky and messy.

No comments: